Friday, June 22, 2012

My First Love

It was a strange as well as wonderful feeling, I felt, for the first time in my life in the year 1978. I was studying my 4th year Mechanical Engineering ( 5 years degree course in those days).

A Keralite couple with a baby, was living opposite to our house in the police quarters. Guests visit them very frequently. Either the gentleman's mother or the lady's sister used to stay in the house to help the lady tending to her new born baby.

The lady had two younger sisters. The elder was a graduate and the younger was studying in school. I never knew that the elder of the two sisters had a crush on me, until one fine morning she gave me this strange and sweet feeling. 

I used to sleep on the small veranda at the entrance, due to high humidity inside the house. I also didn't want to be disturbed by the early morning noise from the kitchen.Ours was a Mangalore tiled row of houses. Six in a row. The other row was facing ours which had 6 houses too. 

As usual, I woke up, hearing the water splashing in front of the house. It is an Indian custom for the womenfolks to clean the floor in front of their house and draw Rangoli every morning. 

I folded the mat and picked up the pillow to go inside. A pen that was there at the entrance of the verandah caught my eye. I was wondering whose pen was that. I was curious to find out the type of pen. So I opened the pen cap and found that it was a fountain pen. I was confused, because the nib was missing. I found a small piece of paper at the ink compartment of that fountain pen.

I pulled out the paper and tried to figure out that was scribbled on it. It took a few seconds for me to realize that it was a love note written to me. Just then, I saw some one closing the main door of the opposite house. I had enough time to figure out that, that was the elder of two sisters who closed the door. I could easily conclude that, it was she who found this novel way of expressing her love to me.

I could sense, for the first time in my life, different kind of feelings and vibrations all over my body. Many dramatic sequences followed after this first expression of love, by that girl, which I would share it with you, in my next blog.

Until then, take care. Happy weekend to you all.

Vijayan ( friend of Uma, Co-writer)
www.jayvani.blogspot.com 
vijay19562007@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. My First Love was a fantasy filled one. I was kissed for the first time in my life by a boy during his Birthday celebrations in his house. He declared his love for me and told me that he had to wait until his birthday to say that he loved me. I was so young and confused emotionally, that I had to be taught to kiss properly, by him, ofcourse. HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became nostalgic after reading the article. Sigh..!!! Those days of love letters, stealing a look through the corner of the eyes, go on a rendezvous by saving the prying eyes of the elders in any festival are gone.
    I think that everyone of us has such a story to tell though it might be branded or categorized as "Calf Love". Still those things existed when we were young.
    When I look back to my own life then I can realize how stupid I was and I won't mind if after reading it you call me a "Jackass".
    There was a girl who used to visit our village during the annual village fair and I had grown a crush over her. In one occasion I had expressed my likings for her. She has also no objection to my proposal.
    Her cousin was my close friend and he assured me that he'll deliver my "Love Letters" to her. It made me feel encouraged and I started writing letters to her almost daily and handed it to my friend with the assurance that it'd reach the addressee. But little did I know that he won't deliver not a single one of those emotion filled letters to her but use it for his own purpose.
    Next year when we met again at the village fair she was very angry because I've not written a single letter to her in spite of my promise. And upon enquiry her cousin confessed his mischief.
    I was feeling not only down but also out from her life.
    My first love (or it'd be better to say "the first crush") ended in such a fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so sorry for you.

      "Love Letter" reminded me of the time I was caught by my mother one morning. I should have put the letter in my School bag. Instead I hid it in my pocket and slept off in the night. Mom came to my bed to wake me up in the morning. She saw the folded paper lying on my bed. She unfolded it and started reading it. Thousand words ran through my mind to tell her some lies.

      At first glance of hers, I told her,"That was not written by me".

      She said,"You think I haven't seen your hand writing?".

      I said, "I wrote it on behalf of my friend. She asked me to write the letter to her boy friend."

      My mom said,"But this boy lives two blocks away. Who is this girl, who wanted you to write?"

      I thought I shouldn't mention the name of the girl who lived next door. That girl's parents were so strict that they could even kill her. I kept my mouth shut. My mother took my school bag from the table and turned it upside down. She searched every book and notebook. She even searched the pencil box. She couldn't find anything. She gave me a tight slap on my cheeks that left me with pain and tears. She warned me that I should only concentrate on studies and not on boys.

      I concentrated on studies, but I was also concentrating on the boy. I spent wonderful moments with him, whenever he came to visit my brothers.

      Mothers are THE BEST persons to know about their children. Later, my mother instructed my brothers to not to bring that boy to home. I started meeting him on the streets, on the way to school, from school to home, shops etc. To my mother's relief, both my parents (they were government employees) got their transfer to another city and we had to move.

      After that, I was such a nice and obedient girl that I was only concentrating on studies until I finished my College. ;)

      Delete