Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tears Rolled Down My Cheeks


When I opened the door of my Cyber Cafe on the day of vacating, March 31,2011, emotions rushed to me like a wave of tsunami. I just couldn't help the tears that rolled down my cheeks, when I sat on my chair for the last time and looked around. It reminded me of the different type of customers that I came across. It reminded me of the difficult times, when my business wasn't running profitably. I had to reduce the number of computers to 5 from 9 in 2004. Added the Sony PS2 to attract kids in the neighborhood. It worked and I could run the business smoothly until the building owner expired in January 2011. Real Estate was doing so well and the rental charge was too high that I couldn't find any suitable place to shift my Business. I also, didn't want to take a risk by moving my business to a costlier place, without knowing whether I can sustain my Business or not. Do you think that I should have taken the risk?

Nostalgic memories
I was just going around to lend a helping hand to my customers, as usual. There was a guy who was sitting next to that customer, was watching my movements. I just ignored him thinking that he would be just another curious customer. I walked passed him, after I done with that customer. He called me by my name, which took me by surprise. I turned towards him and he pointed to his computer monitor. I saw my photograph that I used to send to my chat friends. I, then realized that, that was one of my chat friend who has expressed his wish to meet me in person. He didn't forget to meet me the day before I vacated my Cyber Cafe.

The memories of those nice moments that I spent with my friends, family members and lovers haunted me when I looked around. My Cafe was a sanctuary to me, whenever I wanted a place to sooth my heart. There were days when I needed a place JUST for myself. My Cafe always extended its lovable arms to take solace in. My Cafe was always available to keep me warm in my cold days.

Haunting Memories:
I still remember that sunny afternoon. Two boys walked in and said that they can help me in refilling my printer cartridges at a cheaper price than that I was paying then. I was so innocent to let them take a look at my printer, that they flicked the cartridges in the blink of an eye and ran away even before I realized my stupidity. I, once, was cleaning my computers. My cafe was empty. I was startled by a hoarse voice that said,"Madam, who is the Director here?" I turned around and saw a very short man with an ugly face, reddened eyes. The very sight of him gave me shivers down my spine. He walked towards me from the entrance. I moved back instead of asking him to wait outside.He repeated the question without blinking his eyes. I stood watching him tongue-tied. He said,"I want to meet the movie-director". That brought me to my senses and I replied,"You have come to the wrong place. Please go to the opposite building". He turned around and walked out, leaving me to get a breathe of fresh air. There is a very popular movie Director's office in Sangeetha Apartments.

I just couldn't forget those customers who were so fond of me that they came to meet me, when I let them knew that I was visiting one of my client there in T. Nagar, last weekend. Just couldn't forget the warmth of those elders that came to my cafe to just say hello and those youngsters that found their life partners in my cafe. One of my customer happily told me that, that she felt safe and comfortable, after I took over the Cyber Cafe from the earlier owners in 2002. And she was not the only one who told me this.

The lessons that I learnt in my professional life as a customer co-ordinator in an engineering division of a company, a student counselor in a very popular multimedia training institute and an e-commerce trainer in a very famous e-commerce training institute helped me to run my Business successfully both on and off the field. I still cherish the personal bond that I nurtured with my customers, far and near.

My cafe is closed. But the bond is still strong, between me and the people that I was associated with. But I miss my baby "Millenium Internet Cafe".

Luv u all
Uma
My Workplace
My Services
My Official Blog Posts My Client - Patrick, The Great Speaker
My Client - Aditya, The Upcoming Scientist
My Client - Mark Peysha, Director of the Tony Robbins Films
My Client - Brian K. Gillman, Entrepreneur
My Client - Tobias Wegenast, Experiential Leadership Development
My Client - Karen Waksman, The Great Speaker
My Client - Sarah Tolson, Certified Financial Planner
My Client - Mike Mastracci, attorney and counselor at law
My Client - Jennifer Fink, a Certified Professional Photographer
My Client - Amy Alvis,estate planning
My Client - Kim McAtee, Realtor
My Client - Sean Coleman, entrepreneur, engineer, and social hacker
Recommendations
My Tweets

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful memory lane to walk through Uma, I remember the first day when we went out. How we shared our problems, the second time again, both occasions in the beach.

    For many of us who want to relieve our tensions Beach Sand was like our mother. Your Baby (Cafe) was so friendly with all your friends, it was playful naughty at times but at the end we all were so happy forgetting all our pains.

    Many people come and go in our lives as we go along but friends always stay with us irrespective of our status,conflicts,fights,happiness,sadness and whatever happens to us..You have many of them around to support you mentally and when you are in the midst of them you would get relief of your mind even when your "Baby" is not with you today

    All the best Uma...I know you would be scaling greater heights in the days to come..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Vijayan. I remember your first visit as well as the last one. I miss our time together on the beach.

    You are right. My Cyber Cafe was once termed as "Friends' Cafe" by many of my friends as well as my customers. I cant forget those moments that my friends and my customers, young and old alike, spent with me, sharing their joys and sorrows.

    Your words are very true. Some of the persons that crosses our path stay with us. You added me as your family in Facebook. I was very happy when I saw that notification. Added myself as your cousin there.

    Thanks for your wishes,love and affection.

    ReplyDelete